Return to Living books Page

Glass Tumblers

by
Tom Bredehoft

Be aware that there are a couple of images which got printed in the wrong place, or duplicated, no excuses, but don't be surprised to see the same picture twice.

No. 3 is O'hara No. 725, AKA Daisy in Diamond, ca. 1885

Page 58, No. 3, lower left is U. S. Glass No. 15112, ca. 1909. It is commonly called Pattee Cross. It's interesting to note that Emerald Green, introduced in 1898 was still being used 11 years later.

Page 85, No. 3, is Daisy by Westmoreland.

Page 96, Top. Chrysanthemum Leaf. This pattern was introduced as the last pattern by Boston & Sandwich, before they closed in 1888. Jones, McDuffy &Stratton in the early summer of 1889, sold the molds to the trade. They must have been purchased at that time by one of the companies that became National Glass Company. Indiana Tumbler & Goblet (Greentown) wasn't formed until 1894, so they couldn't have purchased them at that time. Perhaps it was McKee. B & S made it only in crystal. Chocolate and other colors had to have been made by a later owner. [June 2, 05]

Page 96, second listing, upper right.

Spanish Fans now known in flint glass, 3 1/4 inches tall, 2 3/4 inches across. It appears to be about 7/8 the size of the AA Importing copy. The AA Import is on the left. This information courtesy of Pamela Zachary.



Page 99, No. 1, OMN No. 17.

Page 102, the top left tumbler. This should be AKA: Bungalow instead of Cottage.

Page 107, bottom left. This is Kokomo Glass No. 450, ca. 1904. Its commonly called Pillow Bands.

Page 109, top right. This is Bryce Higbee's "Teardrop Row."

Page 145, top right, This is by Phoenix Glass Co., called Impasto Cameo, ca. 1886.

Page 169. The two bottom tumblers were made by Phoenix Glass Co. ca. 1886. Here's a tumbler that we weren't able to illustrate for publication, The image just turned up. This is Dalzell, Gilmore & Leighton's No. 21 D, AKA Starred Block. The line dates to about 1886, having been introduced by DG&L's predecessor, Dalzell Bros & Gilmore, in Wellsburg, Oh.


"Dalzell's No. 21 D"